Canary: care and maintenance
They say that the singing of birds is very beneficialon human health, both mental and physical. Perhaps that is why since ancient times, people keep in their homes such birds singing, like canaries. Over the long history of domestication of these birds they have become undemanding pets that are undemanding in maintenance and thrive even in cramped conditions. At the same time sing nearly all year round and breed well.
However, this does not mean that containcanaries can be "hit or miss". For a comfortable existence of these birds in captivity still need to comply with certain requirements. So, a canary - care "by the rules".
Rule one. adaptation
Like any living thing, this bird-nevelichkaIt must get used to a new habitat (whom your house will be for her). adaptation period will last about two weeks, and depending on the temperament of your birds, it will either be bored all the time or exhibit excessive anxiety. So try in this period, it did not disturb, and place the cage in a quiet place with dim lighting and give her the opportunity to quietly get used to the new conditions.
If you purchased a pair (or more) birds,male settled in a separate cage and birds "ladies" can be placed together. Cage with a bird set so that it could not reach children and pets. Their curiosity is entirely understandable and excusable, but for canaries is premature familiarity can be a real shock. By the way, choosing a place for the cell, keep in mind that these birds can not tolerate drafts.
Second Rule. Accommodation
Actually it is a rule rather be called first. Since first it is important to build a house for the Canaries: it must have a certain size, and be equipped with the necessary equipment.
- The size and shape. The optimal cell size for such a small bird - 45 cm (height), 50 cm (width) and 25-20 cm (depth). cells form canaries must be rectangular, without unnecessary frills and architectural delights. For perfect canary cage-box, where the bars or mesh is closed only one side, and the other three are made of wood, organic glass, plastic or metal. Round cage for canaries habitat is not suitable.
- Inventory and "furniture". In the house at your canaries must be feeders and waterers. Feeders need three: grain, for soft feed and mineral. Drinkers better to get a glass or plastic, which is attached to the cage from the outside. Perches in the cage should be at least two (both wood, with a thickness of eight millimeters to fifteen centimeters). Canary also requires "kupalka" in the form of a small bath, set on the floor or suspended from the cage bars.
In general, all this will be enough toTo your songstress I felt well in my new house. One has only to add that the equipment is best to buy with the cell to fit the size each other. A cell floor (retractable tray) to fall asleep with a thin layer of sand or lay a hygroscopic paper sheet, two or three times a week, the cage should be cleaned.
Third Rule. Food
It should be noted that when overfedBirds are prone to obesity (oddly enough). Sure, it looks a little different than in mammals, but the fact remains. So feed your bird-nevelichku need every day, giving her one or two teaspoons of dry food. Feed less frequently in a day, but with the feed to give twice. Obesity can be a bird is not the quantity of food eaten, and of its quality. Therefore, experts advise to include in canaries diet the following products.
- Hard food. You can buy ready (especially for the canaries), and you can cook your own cereal mix: one part millet, lettuce and sunflower seeds, two pieces of canary seed and four parts of rape or colza. Also in the mix, you can add flax seeds, burdock, plantain, poppy and wild herbs.
- Protein foods especially relevant during moltingor reproduction. As a protein necessary canaries quite suitable low-fat cottage cheese or a boiled egg. They need to give the birds about twice a week (but not more).
- Vegetables and fruits. This source of additional vitamins is enough to give two or three times a week. Canary happy to eat apples, carrots, greens. They are cut into pieces and put in between the bars of the cage next to the perch.
- Mineral feeding improves digestion andIt serves as a source of calcium. It crushed eggshells, chalk, charcoal. You can also give canaries tablets glycerophosphate or calcium gluconate. For normal digestion birds requires a carefully washed river sand, which is poured into a separate feeder. In addition to the mineral feeding canaries also allowed to settle mineral water.
In order for your bird ate whatever she is given(And not only chose tidbits) and not grown fat, you must strictly comply with the daily rate of food, increasing its bit during molting. Also be aware of the high metabolism of small birds (canary and just have a small bird), so be careful to feeders were always with food. Change the grain feed and water needed in the cell in the morning. And if you give the bird and bland food (cereal, boiled eggs, cottage cheese), then it should be changed twice a day, to the mixture turned sour.
Rule Four. Hygiene & Health
By and large though it is gentle, butrather undemanding birds canaries - neobremenitelen care for them. Still, for the physiological state of your canaries need to follow. To check its fatness, the presence and intensity of the change of plumage conduct periodic inspections of the birds. To do this, carefully take it in hand, fixing the head of the middle and forefinger and turn belly up. Gently blow on the area not covered with feathers (Aptera). When molting at this site will be visible on the stumps or fallen brush again growing feathers. Here on the abdomen to check the status of subcutaneous fat. During molting birds have it disappears, and the rest of the Aptera closes half. If Aptera completely closed fatty streaks, then your bird began to "gain weight". In this case, reduce the number of soft protein feed, preferring grains and greens.
For good health it is important canariesobserve and light conditions, which affects the volume of the singing, the readiness to breed, molt duration. In winter, the length of daylight hours should be increased artificially, spilling it down to fourteen hours, and in March - up to sixteen. Since mid-summer light day should start to decrease.
Moulting canaries lasts up to three months. At this time, there is a reorganization of the body of birds and it needs to feed rich in vitamins and minerals. Young birds change their plumage is a bright and brilliant adult outfit. Thus there is a partial molt. Adult birds moult completely. With the right light regime canary sheds once a year. With more frequent molting or feather loss is required to translate the bird on a short light day (nine hours).
As you can see, taking care of canaries is not a big hassledelivers. So if you decide to have this songbird, do not be afraid of possible difficulties, but only observe some simple rules of care. True remember that only male canaries sing (but the singing!). And another piece of advice reminder. Singing canaries early dawn. If you need a good alarm clock, the canary in his excellent substitute. And if not - just cover the cage with a blanket in the evening.</ P>